Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge Northern Ireland

Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge 

and beyond

Not far from The Giant's Causeway on the coastal road heading towards Belfast is the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. Fishermen built the original rope bridge to Carrick-a-Rede Island to check on their salmon nets. The gap between the mainland and the island is 23m deep and 20m wide, it's a long way down to the water!


The original rope bridge only had one handrail! The National Trust which runs this attraction has replaced it with 2 handrails, for safety as well they have people at either end of the bridge checking that visitors move along in single file. They also close the bridge if it's too windy. Being National Trust, it's free entry if you're a member.

It's quite the experience to cross over on the bridge, it's high with fantastic views. Once on the island you can walk around, again admiring the views. I was lucky that the day I was there was clear and sunny.



I thought the island was uninhabited until I spotted this. First I saw the boat and the hoist that would swing the boat out over the water and then lower it down. The chimney and the roof of the cottage of the fisherman who lived there I assumed, can just be seen as well! Hardy folks these fishermen!


View from the island.



Just a bit further up the road before you get to Ballycastle (love those names!) was the B&B I stayed at. It was out in the countryside with terrific views over the fields to the sea. It was called Glenmore House.

I was very lucky with my first few days as I had sunny skies, but then the famous Irish weather made an appearance. The next day was foggy, wet and rainy, I drove along a really scenic part of the Atrium coast, at least that's what I was told, I could see very little of it! At one stage all that could be seen was the road edge on one side of the car, the white line on the road on the other side and a few metres in front, due to the fog!



So sadly not many scenic pictures were taken! Still a pretty area to visit.




Comments