Viktor and Rolf exhibition

At the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne

Last year, whilst in London I was able to go see the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the V&A. Not knowing quite what to expect, I ended up really liking the theatricality of it. I was going to Melbourne for a conference and saw advertised an exhibition of the Dutch fashion designers Viktor and Rolf. It went straight to the top of my list of things to do in Melbourne!


They began their career with this dress. It was made for a competition, a design and photography competition with 3 categories and they won all three, this was in 1993. (I didn't know that much about Viktor and Rolf, other than they were Dutch and in the past a lot of their designs featured bows!)


These are two dresses for a series called Russian Doll. The rest of the dresses were displayed as well, a model had the dresses piled on her, one at a time. (Like a Russian Doll, that has smaller ones inside)


As soon as I saw this outfit I thought 'carpet?' Not quite but material very similar to carpet, this collection from 2014-15 is called 'Red Carpet' and it calls out society's obsession with celebrity.


Loved this dress with bits cut out, fascinated as to how it all sits perfectly.


'No' coat, making a statement that fashion shouldn't be so disposable.


I thought the cushions were an interesting touch! The coat itself reminded me of traditional Japanese over kimonos worn by the wealthy. (When the Emperor is crowned, he wears 12 (!!!) kimonos, one on top of the other, getting thicker)


The collection that this comes from begins with all black clothing, then indoor foreworks, the stage revolves to see outfits in pinks and oranges. (I knew nothing about the V&R collections, but good signage and monitors with various parades showing and I have some basic knowledge!)


I thought the frames were just to display the dresses. That's not the case, they're actually part of the outfit! One things I did notice watching the parades, is that the V&R runway moderns are usually in low heeled or flat shows. They're not tee-terring around in sky-high stilettos.

In 2014 a young woman who was marrying into the Dutch royal family asked V&R to make her wedding dress. I was thrilled to see that it was being displayed, not in the main exhibition but in the 'Atelier' room for children to create their own fashion items.


It is the most interesting royal wedding dress, i love the bows and how they go from tiny to large at the hem.


Viktor and Rolf originally wanted to keep the train plain with no bows, saying with was too much. But the bride Mabel Weiss Smith insisted on the bows and I think it's great!

Like the Alexander McQueen exhibition, this didn't feel like a fashion exhibition, but rather a theatrical show) I really enjoyed it and nice to be able to take pictures. 

I thought it was a great exhibition 

Comments