Top 10 or so churches to visit

My recommendations

The idea for this post came about from a recent discussion with a friend about our overseas travels, both of us agreed that we like to visit churches as the buildings are all lovely. For me it's not just the ornate and large churches but also the smaller, local churches and their importance to the local community makes them beautiful places to visit.

The Duomo Milan, duomo means cathedral, so you'll find the main church in other Italian cities also called 'The Duomo'. I think this was the first major church I ever visited, I was taken there when I was 11 and have seen it many times since. The outside with all the spires makes it so impressive, years ago I went up onto the roof and walked among the spires, I think it's still possible to do that today.


The Euphrasian Basilica, Porec Croatia.
Another childhood experience and memory, this photo from a more recent visit, the basilica and the mosaics have undergone restoration, it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This is the oldest of the churches that I've visited, with parts dating back to the 6th century.


The Duomo Como, Italy
This Duomo sticks out to me as it's such a large building in what it quite a small town and would have been small in the past as well. And yet this enormous, ornate cathedral was built, well worth a stop when enjoying the Italian lakes.


In the distance, the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, St. Petersburg Russia
This is the oldest church in St. Petersburg built in the early 18th century. It's on an island and is the burial spot of the Russian Imperial Family. Super interesting to visit for those (like me!) who are fascinated by Russian royalty. Beautiful building and it also has a side chapel which now holds the remains of Tsar Nicholas II and his family.


Berlin Cathedral, Germany. This was one of those pleasant surprises when you don't over research the place you visit! I basically stumbled over this huge cathedral when I was walking to Alexander Platz. Never made it to Alexander Platz and instead spent all my time exploring this amazing cathedral.


Storkyrkan, Stockholm Cathedral Sweden
It's located in Gamla Stan, which is the old historic part of Stockholm, go into the cathedral as part of your visit to that lovely area. I liked the cathedral for its Scandinavian architectural touches, its use of red brick. Cathedrals tend to be in stone I found.


The Church Our Saviour on Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg Russia.
The church is built on the site when Tsar Alexander II was fatally wounded in March 1881, he was travelling in a carriage along the canal, and now the church butts out onto the canal, the Imperial Family paid for the construction of the church. A beautiful church and historically interesting, it was closed as a church by the Soviets in 1932 and hasn't been reconsecrated, it now functions as a museum.


St. Ignatius Church Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dubrovnik has numerous churches, my recommendation is to visit this one, if you're going to just see one. The frescos are gorgeous, it's a really beautiful church.


These are called 'The Spanish Steps' (in imitation of the ones in Rome!) and lead up to the St. Ignatius Church. This week I watched a youtube video of a couple holidaying in Dubrovnik who were Game of Thrones fans. Parts of Dubrovnik are used as location shots, this is one, and the church is CGIed to make it bigger. (I don't know exactly what the GoT location is as I binged watched season 1 of GoT on a long haul flight and was upset as my favourite character was killed off at the end of that season! Have boycotted the rest!)


Holy Trinity Church, Devonport New Zealand
Really lovely church in the bayside suburb of Devonport, loved all the use of wood. The church is over 140 years old and really well preserved.


St. Paul's Wellington, New Zealand

It's also known as 'Old St. Paul's Wellington', from its consecration in 1866 until 1964 it had been the Anglican Cathedral for Wellington, a larger one was built nearby. Old St. Paul's is still used for weddings, funerals and other services.


The Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Istria Croatia
This is the church in my father's village, it dates back to the 16th century and even though it's a small village church it has really lovely artwork. The church has been restored over the past few years and the artwork around the altar has all been cleaned. I can remember seeing it quite black from generations of candle smoke.


St Mary's by the Sea, Port Douglas Australia
A sweet little wooden church, now used mainly as a wedding venue, the window behind the altar looks out to the sea.


St. Saviour's Kuranda, Australia
Another lovely little wooden church in far north Queensland, to me there's something special about these little churches. 

Lastly my favourite little church, St Gregory's Armenian Church in Singapore.
Ever since I read about this church I fell in love with its history. The Armenian Church as its known is the oldest church in Singapore, built by what was then the very small Armenian community in 1835. This community is still tiny and hasn't had a resident priest since the 1930s and yet the church is cared for, in recent years it was restored, it's now surrounded by tall buildings. I just find it a little oasis when visiting Singapore.

These are all Christian churches, I have also visited non christian religious sites so will try and collate the photos I have of those for a future post. 






Comments