Petersfield, United Kingdom

A market town in Hampshire

The High Street

Petersfield is a market town situated in the South Downs National Park. Historically it prospered as it was located by frequently travelled routes, it had been a coaching stop on the Portsmouth to London route. Markets were held in the town square for livestock trading. It's very conveniently located just off the A3 road that leads down to Portsmouth.

I was arriving in the U.K. mid afternoon and picking up a car at Heathrow airport, I had planned to spend a few days on the Isle of Wight so needed a stop about midway. Petersfield isn't quite midway but it seemed like a nice area to stop, it's approximately an hour from Heathrow and 20 minutes from Portsmouth. I ended up staying in a village inn at Buriton, which was 3 miles from Petersfield but came in to look around the town the following morning.

Travelling I lost track of the days and I thought it was a Saturday morning and was puzzled as to how quiet the town was. Then realised it was a Sunday!


The market square with the statue of William III (William of Orange). There are still markets held here every Wednesday and Saturday. The church is called St Peter's and it's of Norman origin (so very, very old!) It's from the church that the town gets its name.


Opposite the square, a nice pub, I like how British pubs have hanging basket displays outside.


The Red Lion pub, it belongs to a popular chain of pubs in the U.K. Wetherspoons.

There were side streets with traditional cottages with the front doors that opened right out on the footpath.



These ones had a tiny front yard.

When I arrived the previous evening I missed the turnoff to the most direct route to Buriton and ended up going the 'long way round' and passed by a large pond. It was very pretty and went back the next morning.


This is called Petersfield Heath, as much as the town was quiet, the Heath had lots of people walking around on a Sunday morning.


The Heath covers 69 acres and the pond is 22 acres, it's a big pond! In the summer you can hire boats to go out onto the pond, but I was there early autumn so the swans had the pond to themselves.


As I went the 'long way round' to Buriton, it meant that I could experience the pretty country lanes. 

Petersfield was a pleasant quick stop on my way to Portsmouth, the Heath and pond were particularly nice.

Comments