London in Autumn

Experiencing London through its parks.


Birdcage Walk

As someone who doesn't like any kind of cold weather I normally travel to Europe in summer, but last year I had to change my plans and so got to experience Europe in autumn. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how much I did like it, especially autumn in my favourite European city, London. The parks were just stunning with the falling leaves on green grass, I was used to the Australian autumn which tends to have leaves falling on parched earth!



My favourite park, St. James's Park with Buckingham Palace in the distance. I like St. James's as it's a nice size park, I find Hyde Park too big. The location is interesting, I've sat in the park and heard bands marching to Buckingham Palace, there's great people watching and it's just a pretty park with the water and the ducks.



As someone who lives in Australia where there are no squirrels, I do tend to spend a lot of time squealing 'Squirrel!' when seeing one in the park! This one is nibbling on a nut.

The other end of the lake the buildings in the background are Horse Guards, it's also the exit for the Churchill War Cabinet Rooms which are fascinating to visit. Didn't see them again this trip, too many people in the queue!! It's hard to be spontaneous on a Sunday in London!





This pond with ducks is originally called 'Duck Pond'! The cottage in the background is 'Duck Pond Cottage', it's the administrative centre for the park.



Just another Sunday afternoon in London, pennyfatherings going down The Mall!



The gardens infront of Buckingham Palace in autumn, in springtime the beds are full of daffodils, it's just lovely.

From here enter Green Park (another original name!)


The Canada Memorial which commemorates Canadians who fought with the British and died in World War I and II.

The idea behind Green Park was that it was to be mainly trees and open area, it makes for stunning pathways.



London can be a very expensive city to visit, but there are free things to enjoy and experience such as the parks.

Comments