Sculpture by the Sea, Sydney

Bondi Beach to Tamarana Beach



Sculpture by the Sea is an annual arts even held in Sydney. This year's event is running from October 18th to November 4th, I was in Sydney to attend a conference and took the opportunity to go and see it.

The Sculptures are placed along the coastal path that goes from Bondi Beach to Tamarana Beach, which is a distance of 2km. I didn't end up walking the total distance as it was late in the afternoon when I got there. I had caught the train to the Bondi Junction station and had planned on catching a bus down to the beach, but changed my mind when I saw the crowd watching for the bus! Bondi is enormously popular and to have Sculpture by the Sea there as well just increased the amount of people wanting to go down to the beach. I ended up walking down, it takes about 20 minutes and thought I would catch the bus back up again. Eventually did manage to get a return bus after waiting a good hour as full buses sped past! Be warned it gets crowded at Bondi!



The starting point for the exhibition just past the Bondi Icebergs, from the road the path goes down to the rocks.



These coastal pools are quite common in Sydney, this is the Bondi Icebergs. It's called the 'icebergs' as the pool is a home to winter swimming. Intrepid swimmers back in 1929 started winter swimming at this pool. The clubhouse next to the pool has a cafe and anyone can use the pool, you don't need to be a member. There is an entrance fee to use the pool.


Missiles on the rocks



I was surprised at how many people there were walking the path, I expected a few but there was a constant stream of people walking along. It's a very popular event, plus the sculptures are all interesting.




This sculpture was very popular! It had a line up of people waiting to have photos of themselves sitting in the sculpture's lap!


Marks Park, looking back to Bondi Beach.

This park had a large undercover sculpture display as well as outdoor ones. I turned back at this point and retraced my steps back to the southern end of Bondi Beach where there was a bus stop. I enjoyed what I saw and regretted I didn't have more time so I could have walked the whole length of the exhibition. I loved the sculpture all displayed outdoors and on and around rocks.

Comments