Ljubljana Castle

Ljubljana, Slovenia


Ljubljana Castle shrouded in mist on top of the hill.

Ljubljana Castle overlooks the city down by the river. I had two short stopovers in Ljubljana during my recent Europe trip and during the second brief stop I decided to go for a quick look at the castle up on the hill.

I had limited time and the funicular up to the castle didn't start until 10am. It's also possible to walk up, but I fancied riding up the funicular. I thought it was a little train (like the other funiculars I been on in Europe). It's actually a glass box that goes up a rail to the castle.


Funicular coming up the hill.

The previous day had been bright and sunny, but the autumn weather turned and I had mist! It did add an extra atmospheric layer to the city but restricted the view somewhat!

The original castle was built in the 11th century, it was almost completely demolished in the 15th century and rebuilt. Then added to in the 16th and 17th centuries. During the era that Austria ruled over the area, the castle was used as a prison and military garrison (From 1848 to 1895) In the early 20th century the castle was bought by the municipality of Ljubljana to be turned into a museum, this didn't happen and it was used for low socio-economic housing until 1963. It then went under a restoration that took 35 years and finally opened to the public. The funicular was added in 2006.


The castle is a popular venue for weddings and major events.






The castle water supply!



The castle walls.


It's possible to walk up to the castle courtyard from the town down below.


Looking down from the castle walls, could probably see the city on a clear day! I listened to a tour guide talking to his group on the way up on the funicular, on the great views to be had from the castle. "Not today naturally!"

Ljubljana is a lovely city with a great cafe culture and historic city centre. Perfect for a short stop, the city is very walkable. A nice way view the city is to catch the funicular up to the castle. I had limited time as I was due to leave Ljubljana by midday, I just rode up in the funicular and walked around the courtyard and the walls. It's possible to go into the castle and there's also a chapel to view.


Comments