Launceston, Tasmania

Spend some time there!

Albert Hall

The city of Launceston was my major surprise on my trip to Tasmania. It was a surprise as I didn't think I would end up liking it so much! I'd only planned on spending one full day there before flying home, which now I realise was a woefully small amount of time to really explore the town and surrounding area. So I'm planning on going back again this (Australian!) summer.

Launceston is located at the north of the island of Tasmania in an area with fertile land which could be successfully farmed. Lt. Colonel Patterson came down the Tamar River in 1806 and established the first European settlement which was originally named after him, Pattersonia!! He later changed the name to Launceston after Launceston in Cornwall which was the birthplace of the then current New South Wales Governor. 

The town reflects the wealth that was in the area as a consequence of the pastoral properties the Europeans established. Launceston is still a small town, with a population of around 84,000 and yet has building which wouldn't be out of place in a major city. I did notice they were all beautifully preserved and the city is quite strict about not building modern constructions that would tower over the heritage architecture. I love a good bit of well preserved heritage architecture!

I parked next to City Park and so walked through the park into the city centre, it wasn't far! 


The park has this ornate Victorian era structure, upon closer inspection. (I read the signs!) It was indeed Victorian as it was a display of loyalty congratulating Queen Victoria on her Golden Jubilee. The dates in the memorial confused me until I kept reading, it seems that the children of Launceston raised money for this structure but it took a while and it was completed and unveiled in time for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (ten years later!)


I found this enclosure interesting, it's in the park, not a zoo. Upon further research it seems that when Launceston was twinned with the city of Ikeda in Japan in 1965, the Japanese gifted the city some Japanese Macaques (monkeys). They live in cold climates and so are suited to the environment found in Launceston. The enclosure has been upgraded and it's quite popular with families from what I saw.

Streetscape with Post Office clock in background.


The (very ornate!) Launceston Town Hall



An Art deco building


The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery


The Umbrella Shop, now the National Trust shop. It was built around 1860 and was originally a grocery shop. In 1921 it was bought by the Shott Family and became an umbrella shop, selling and repairing umbrellas and walking sticks.I love that in days gone by broken things didn't just get discarded but repaired. The National Trust received the shop in 1979, the shop frontage and all the signage is original.


Marina on the North Esk river, view from the Alexandra Walkway

Meeting of the Tamar River and the North Esk

Looking across the Tamar River to the suburb of Trevallyn (I bet there's some prized housing there!)

Housing with river views!


Comments