Cataract Gorge, Tasmania

Launceston's first tourist attraction



The Lady Launceston, a replica of an 1890s tourist boat.

I had planned on visiting Cataract Gorge during my stay in Launceston but I hadn't done the fine detail planning, such as, how to access it and what to see and do! I ended up seeing it three different ways, the first was by walking into the gorge. 

As is often the case since I don't tend to overplan the places I visit, I stumbled across the walking path on the north bank. Once back in Launceston, I went to the suburb of Trevallyn as I was staying on that side of the river, found some cafes and had a nice lunch in what I assumed was the 'village centre' of Trevallyn. Came down the hill to cross the old bridge to Launceston city centre and saw the Penny Royal Adventures park, thought I would stop and have a look. It was then I saw the entrance to Cataract Gorge so in I went along the walking path.



Part of the gorge is deep enough for boats to navigate and there is a replica boat called the Lady Launceston that takes tourists into the gorge. The gorge also seems to be a popular swimming area for teenagers who want a bit of a thrill! They climb over the railings and down onto the rocks and jump into the water, I spent a bit of time watching them, the group I saw also swam across the gorge onto the rocks on the south side.



The gorge then narrows to a rocky rapids area, upriver a dam was built in the 1950s to provide hydroelectric power to Launceston and that affects the amount of water in the gorge.

The walking path then leads you to what's known as the 'Cliff Grounds', these were laid out in Victorian (and Edwardian?) times for the Launceston locals to enjoy in their leisure time. The walking path was constructed in the 1890s, the gorge was Launceston's original tourist attraction.


There's a rotunda (or bandstand) with the exotic Indian style roof. The ground level of the rotunda houses public toilets. (Useful to know!)


The English style garden, the hydrangeas were in bloom while I was there.


There's an old well.



When the gardens were established, the plan was to create a garden replicating what could be found in England and that included peacocks! There is a restaurant next to the gardens with outdoor dining as well.

From the Cliff Grounds you can look down into what's called the 'First Basin'.



The thinking man float isn't there normally, it was placed in the basin for the Arts Festival that was being held in January.



The 'Thinking man' at least that's what I've called it! With the Alexandra Suspension bridge in the background, the bridge was built in 1904. As it's a suspension bridge it moves, I had a chuckle when the woman infront of me was telling her friends that as teenagers, she and her friends would deliberately jump up and down on the bridge to make it move and scare the other walkers! The bridge connects the south and north side of the gorge across First Basin.


Alexandra Suspension Bridge



The First Basin recreation area, there's a swimming pool, a cafe and a children's playground. In 1972 a chairlift was installed that takes people over First Basin and gives riders a nice view over the gorge.



My second visit to Cataract Gorge was by boat, it was part of the Tamar River Cruise that I did.

The third visit I found the First Basin carpark area and came in that way so was able to explore the south side of the gorge and I walked over the Alexandra Bridge. 

My favourite entry to the gorge was along the walking trail from the entrance at Kings Bridge. (The bridge is historically interesting as it was floated into position in 1867 and opened up road access to the north side of the Tamar River. Land with great river views was then snapped up by wealthy Launceston residents to build some quite large homes!) For a first visit to the gorge I would recommend taking that route, walk along the gorge and then experience it opening up at First Basin with the gardens and the basin.

Comments