Lake Bled, Slovenia

Discovering European lakes


Lake Bled and the church on Bled Island have long been on my (very long!) wish list of places to visit. At least now I can check them off as places I have visited.

Bled island is a small island set in a lake surrounded by mountains. The island has had a church on it for centuries and it was a place of pilgrimage. The current church dates to the 17th century as previous churches were damaged in earthquakes. I've seen different names for the church, the Church of the Assumption, and the one I like Our Lady of the Lake. 

Pilgrims needed to get across the lake to the church and so would pay local oarsmen to row them across in their boats. These little flat bottom boats are called pletna. In the 18th century Empress Maria Theresa (of Austria, the area was part of Austria then) granted licences to 22 families who were allowed to take people across to the island. Descendants of these families are the only ones who are allowed to continue to take people across by boat. (People can hire a rowboat and row themselves across to the island)


The current wooden pletna boats are based on a 1902 boat design and are beautifully maintained. (The original boats had thatched canopies) The oarsmen row the boats standing up at the back, each boat has a name.

I thought I would be strategic with my planning to visit the island and decided to take the 10am boat across. (That was the first crossing of the day) I was staying in the town of Bled so the closest departure point of the boats was at the nearby Park Hotel. Being on the first boat I calculated would mean that we would be the first on the island and there would be less people! Good idea, what I didn't know is that the far more popular launch area of the boats was further down the lake and it was where all the tour buses stopped! There was only one boat at a time leaving from where I got on, there were two leaving at a time down the lake and they were closer to the island! So there were more people than the 20 I thought there would be!

Regardless, the stop where I took the pletna boat was perfect as it was a longer ride down the lake.
Bled Castle, perched hill on the hill.

This is as close as I got to Bled Castle, I admired it from afar! Europe is in the middle of a heatwave at the moment and climbing the 300 or so steps didn't appeal! I'll save it for another visit!

Due to where we started our boat docked at the back of the church side of the island. Once docked we had 40 minutes to explore before our boat made a return trip. There were paths going around the island, and stairs going up to the church and area around the church. Forty minutes was enough time to walk around the island, go up (and down!) the stairs, visit the church and walk around by the church.

The stairs at the back of the church, near where we docked.


Just next to the dock was this shrine to Mary, I think a German princess donated or it was placed in her memory. There was a faded sign and in a language I don't read, I did some guess work.

I walked around the lower part of the island (again strategy, I assumed that the people on my boat would go up the stairs, so less people on the lower path), it wound its way to the front stairs. I say front stairs as they were grander and that part of the island was closer to the shore of the lake so pilgrims were more likely to have come onto the island from that direction.

The front stairs.

Once up the stairs you were in an open area that had outdoor seating and a small cafe. The church at some stage had a resident priest and the presbytery has been renovated.

The church and belltower.

The current church is from the 17th century, the bell tower was built in the 15th century, but it was damaged by two earthquakes and in 1688 it was struck by lightening! (research!)

There is another bell inside the church which you can hear pealing constantly! It's the wishing bell, you pull the bell and make a wish.


It costs 6 euros to enter the church, I wanted to see inside and thought it was a lovely little church. Apparently it's very popular for weddings! Not seen in this photo but two side altar pictures are currently being restored so they're behind scaffolding and plastic sheeting. The front altarpiece dates back to 1747, the rope from the wishing bell is in the centre. (Had to wait for the couple taking it in turns to ring and pose for photos!)


A better look, from the shore of the front of the island with the grand staircase leading up to the church. 

Pletna boats on the lake.

Looking back to St. Martin's Church across the lake.

There are a few vilas on the lake, but not as many as I thought there would be. It seems they are have been converted to tourist accomodation.


This very Swiss looking vila was built in 1896 according to a sign on the back I saw when I biked past later in the day.

Taking a boat across to Bled Island, is a must do activity when visiting Lake Bled. What struck me about the lake is how quiet it is, there are no motorised boats no jet skis, just wooden rowboats and pletna boats. In the morning I watched rowers training, there are marked rowing lanes and the lake had hosted world rowing competitions. I did see a more modern boat, which was engine powered but it was quiet so I assume those boats are solar powered when moving on the lake.

The Pletna boat trip cost 15 euros, take the longer trip from close to Bled Town, it was lovely to be out on the water and watch the activity on the lake. The longer trip takes about 20 minutes and well worth it.

Comments