Jewel, Chiangi Airport Singapore

Singapore Airport's latest attraction!



Jewel is Chiangi Airport's retail and restaurant complex that opened in April this year. It was built over an open air carpark and the centrepiece of the complex is a rainforest complete with its own waterfall. The Rain Vortex is absolutely incredible and a major attraction. Especially for me as I decided to go to the airport much earlier than I needed to so I could go and have a look at Jewel. 

The Jewel complex is in the public area of the airport, it's open to non travelling members of the public to come along, shop and dine at the restaurants. Knowing this I checked in for my flight, dropped off my suitcase and then went along to Jewel. It's connected to the different terminals with pedestrian bridges, it's directly connected to Terminal 1, further away from Terminal 2 and the furtherest from Terminal 3. Naturally I was leaving from Terminal 3!!! (There's a Terminal 4 which connects with a shuttle bus to Terminal 3 and then you walk)

Once inside Jewel I could hear the sound of the waterfall so it was easy enough to find it! The whole complex is donut shaped with the rainforest in the centre. It was daylight when I arrived so was able to get daytime photos, I then went off to explore the complex and chose a place for dinner. 


The Rain Vortex


Sky Nets across the top of the complex to bounce your way around!


A section of the mall


From a different entrance

As I was having dinner I heard some rather dramatic music and then found out afterwards that was the sound and lightshow. I missed that but still got the impressive changing of colours when I went back to the rainforest.






Water cascades at the edge of the rainforest.

There are different entrances to the rainforest, once inside there are stairs that you can climb to different levels. (Or you enter those levels from the mall) It means that it's possible to experience different perspectives on the waterfall, the view from the highest level is the most amazing as you can see the bowl the water falls into.

Airports tend to be rather dull places as you wait for your flight, Jewel has certainly made Chiangi a more interesting place! Even if you're not planning on shopping at Jewel, with the variety of restaurants that can be found there, having a meal would be an easy option for spending time there. I certainly was able to pass a couple of hours and only explored a small part of the complex, basically I was just fascinated by the rainforest part of the complex!

Comments