Evandale, Tasmania

A taste of colonial Australia



On my first trip to Tasmania I passed through Evandale on my way to Launceston, I was instantly struck by the many beautiful old buildings in the town. That first trip made me realise that northern Tasmania contained the historic buildings that appealed to me and I made plans to return. Evandale was top of the list of places needing a revisit, the town itself is conveniently close to Launceston airport. (It's only 5km away, basically next door!) A year after my previous trip to Tasmania I was back and planned to base myself in the northern part of the state, I flew into Launceston, picked up my hire car, set off for Evandale, and arrived there a few minutes later!

Evandale is well-know for its Georgian and early Victoria buildings, the streetscape is well preserved, no wonder it appealed to me on first glance. This time around I was able to spend a bit more time exploring the town before I drove into Launceston and my accomodation.



The cottages just look English, the first British settlers obviously just built what they were familiar with. The climate of Tasmania was perfect for these types of cottages. The town was founded by Governor Lachlan Macquarie after he was passed through the area in 1811. (Lachlan Macquarie didn't name the area after himself but as he ended up being quite an important governor, there's numerous road, mountains, rivers, streets, a university all named after him) Evandale is next to the South Esk River and the fertile land around was perfect for farming. The river could be used as a way of transporting goods into Launceston, and then onwards for export.


A more substantial Georgian house


 The bakery and cafe where I had a nice late lunch.





A horse trough still in the street.




Harry Murray statue.

Harry Murray was a highly decorated soldier from World War I, he was a Victoria Cross recipient. He was originally from Evandale and the local community raised money for this statue to be placed in Memorial Park. 


John Glover statue

The other famous person who lived near Evandale is landscape artist John Glover. He was English and didn't emigrate to Tasmania until he was in his 60's but he became well-known for his landscapes of colonial Tasmania. Each year the Glover Prize is held in Evandale, it's a prize for landscape paintings of Tasmania and the current prize of $40,000 makes it the highest landscape prize in Australia. (Get those paint brushes out!)


Penny Farthing rider

Evandale's other claim to fame is the annual penny farthing race, held every February. Riders race through the town.


Right next to the Penny Farthing statue is the colonial road maker, showing the distance to Hobart (town) and Launceston. 

Evandale has two historical churches, both called St. Andrew's and across the road from each other.


St. Andrew's Uniting Church

This church dates back to 1839 and the statue infront of the church commemorates the first minister the Reverend Robert Russell.


St. Andrew's Anglican Church

This church was built in 1871, but there was an earlier church on the site built in 1844. It was demolished due to faulty foundations and a more sturdy church was built!

Evandale is a perfect location to visit for anyone who flies into Launceston, it's only a short drive away, a lovely small town to walk around, to explore the antique stores and to have lunch. Visit on a Sunday morning and you can explore the local markets.

Comments